Resources Perimeter College
Check out Perimeter College Office of STEM Initiatives!
The mission of the Perimeter College Office of STEM Initiatives is to promote student access and to improve student success in the STEM disciplines. Georgia Perimeter College created the Office with a goal to provide college-wide leadership for STEM activities. With the generous support of the University System of Georgia and the Perimeter College administration, the STEM Initiatives Office was created to aid in this effort.
In 2006, a national debate ensued about the declining state of STEM education in the United States. It was noted that if the US was going to continue to be a major contender in the world market place that the talent pool of scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and technologists not only needed to be replenished but also expanded. Consequently, in 2007 the America COMPETES Act (P.L. 110-69) became law which was designed to create opportunities and meaningfully promote excellence in technology, education, and science with a specific emphasis on promoting research in science and engineering and STEM education from K – postdoctoral education.
Subsequently in 2007, USG announced it STEM Initiative led by the Office of Educational Access and Success. The USG STEM Initiative is a project that is designed to improve student access and success in the STEM fields and enhance instructional capabilities of STEM faculty in Georgia’s postsecondary institutions. USG institutions and P-12 partners work to implement the goals of the STEM initiative which are to increase:
- The number of P-12 students who prepare for and are interested STEM majors in college
- The success rates and number of students in college who pursue STEM discipline
- The number of teachers who are prepared in science and mathematics
Goals of the PC STEM Initiatives Office
The goals of the PC STEM Initiatives Office are in alignment with the USG STEM Initiative. The goals of the office are to:
- Increase the success rate of students in STEM “gatekeeping” courses
- Provide educational opportunities and support for students choosing STEM disciplines as a major
- Deepen student and faculty engagement in college-wide STEM activities
- Support, connect and strengthen collaborations to advance STEM preparation for P-20 students and faculty
- Develop and support exemplary practices and policies in STEM education at the 2-year college level
To request more information, please contact the Office of STEM Initiatives:
3251 Panthersville Road
Decatur, GA 30034
Dr. Cynthia Lester
Ms. Vertilee Henry