In addition to the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences, the MS degree in Data Science and Analytics with a concentration in Big Data and Machine Learning has the following requirements:
- A strong record of coursework and/or experience in computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics, natural and physical sciences, or a related discipline (minimum GPA 3.0)
- Experience in programming, data structures and algorithms, linear algebra, and probability and statistics
- Strong performance on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Strong performance on the TOEFL or IELTS for international applicants whose native language is not English
Required Materials for Application
- Complete Online Application for Graduate Studies
- $50 processing fee
- Official transcripts (one from each institution attended)
- Official GRE scores (our institution code is 5251; there is no departmental code), required per College policy
- Three letters of recommendation
- International applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English by taking the TOEFL or IELTS tests
- Statement of purpose (a brief personal essay explaining the applicant’s interest in the program, relevant skills and experiences, and career objectives)
Foundation Course Requirements
We welcome students from all backgrounds. However, applicants are expected to have completed certain computer science foundation courses with a grade of B or higher in each. Please refer to the current Graduate Catalog for a list of foundation courses. If you did not take all of these courses but the admission committee thinks you are talented, you will be asked to take the missing foundation courses during the first semester of enrollment at Georgia State, before starting your M.S. or Ph.D. coursework. Typically, we recommend that non-CS majors complete the CSC 1000–3000 level courses with a grade of B or higher before applying to our graduate program. You may also consider Georgia State’s post-baccalaureate program.
We also require the GRE (and TOEFL/IELTS for international students). Please be aware that English proficiency is not the only evaluation metric.
How to Apply
To apply for this program, please submit a complete online application. In the “Program Selection” section of the application, select the “Interdisciplinary Studies” College and then select the “Data Science & Analytics” program. Additional application instructions, forms, and links to the online application are available at the College of Arts and Sciences Graduate Admissions website.