Requirements for admission include:
- Master’s degree in applied linguistics or a related field
- Teaching experience in a second or foreign language
- A GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale at the master's level, with the strength of the M.A. program taken into consideration.
- Non-native speakers of English must submit TOEFL scores of at least 600 on the paper-based test or 250 on the computer-based test and a score of at least 5 on the Test of Written English or the TOEFL Writing Test, or if the Internet-based TOEFL is taken, a composite score of 97 and writing score of 22 and speaking score of 24 are required.
Students who demonstrate experience with adult language learners and/or English for Academic Purposes will be preferred. In addition, students who demonstrate research potential based on an M.A. thesis or research papers submitted as part of the application process will be preferred. New students will be admitted only in the fall semester.
Applicants must submit the following materials:
- Completed graduate program application form
- Two copies of official transcripts from all colleges attended
- If applicable, official scores on the TOEFL or IELTS
- Three letters from academic references
- Sample of academic writing (published or unpublished)
- Statement of professional and academic goals that includes a response to the following: Why are you seeking a Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics (specifically in the Department of Applied Linguistics and ESL at Georgia State)? What are your research interests? With which faculty member are you interested in studying?
- Current C.V.