PhD in Applied Linguistics (specialization in Second Language Acquisition), University of Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain. February 2012
MA in Education, GA College & State University, Milledgeville, GA. May 2001
BA in English, University of Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain. June 1999
Second Language Acquisition
Second Language Pedagogy
- Second Language Acquisition
- Foreign Language Pedagogy
- Language Learning Technology
- Spanish Cultural Studies
- Applied Linguistics
- GTA Mentorship and Coordination
- Heritage Learners
I am a Senior Lecturer of Spanish at Georgia State University since 2012. I teach undergraduate courses in Spanish, including elementary, intermediate, and conversational courses, as well as a postgraduate second language pedagogy course. Aside from my teaching, I am also involved in the coordination of Lower-Level Spanish courses and serve as a mentor for the Graduate Teaching Assistants. I earned my Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics from the University of Valladolid in Valladolid, Spain. I have 11 years of professional experience in teaching as a high school educator, which involved teaching both Spanish as well as English as a Second Language (ESL) courses.
My Ph.D. dissertation was titled Implications of the “Natural Order of Acquisition” Theory in a Classroom setting: Spanish Speakers Learning English as a Second Language in a Host Environment. My current research interests include second language development, second language pedagogy, online and digital tools for second language teaching, and heritage learners. I also enjoy taking on administrative roles within my department that can help strengthening both the personal ties of faculty and staff and the academic curriculum and program. My service also extends to the student body as the advisor of the Spanish club and LUL Fraternity.
- Explorando: Introduction to Spanish. Contributing author. Chapter 11: Los Viajes y las Vacaciones. Toronto: TopHat. June, 2017.
- Wharton, R, Llorente, R. et al. Digital Literacy Across the Curriculum at GSU. September, 2016. Web: http://sites.gsu.edu/digital_literacy/
- Doctoral Dissertation: Implications of the “Natural Order of Acquisition” Theory in a Classroom Setting: Spanish Speakers Learning English as a Second Language in a Host Environment. February, 2012
- Among the New Words” American Speech: A Quarterly Of Linguistic Usage, Vol.76 No.3, Duke University Press. May, 2001
- “Among the New Words” American Speech: A Quarterly Of Linguistic Usage, Vol.75 No.3, Duke University Press. May, 2001.