B.S. (2005): Shandong University
Ph.D. (2010): Shandong University, The Ohio State University
Postdoctoral Associate (2010-2012): Nankai University
Research Scientist I (2013-2018): Georgia State University
Senior Research Scientist (2018-2020): Georgia State University
Assistant Professor (2020-present): Georgia State University
Protein expression, glycosyltransferases, glycan & glycopeptide synthesis, glycoanalysis, glycan microarray, glycan-protein interaction, bacterial polysaccharide biosynthesis
Every living cell is coated with a dense layer of complex carbohydrates (or glycans) termed as glycocalyx. It plays critical roles in diverse biological processes, including cell signaling, molecular recognition, immunity, inflammation and pathogenesis. Working at the interface of Chemistry and Biology with a focus on Carbohydrate Chemistry, Microbial glycobiology, and Glycomics, we are trying to understand the structures and functions of glycans involved in infectious diseases and cancer. We use the combination of organic and enzymatic strategies to generate the repository of mammalian glycans and glycopeptides, and employ these structures to develop glycomics tools to study carbohydrate-protein interactions and glycosylation alteration. We also use molecular biology, biochemistry, and chemical biology technologies to understand the biosynthesis of bacterial glycans and glycoconjugates with a focus on antibiotic-resistant pathogens Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Clostridioides difficile.
1. Ma, C., Liu, D., Li, D., Zhang, J., Xu, X., Zhu, H., Wan, X., Miao, C.H., Konkle, B.A., Onigman, P., Xiao, W.*, and Li, L.* Comprehensive N- and O-glycosylation mapping of human coagulation factor V. J Thromb Haemost, 2020, 18, 1884-1892. (Editor’s Highlight)
2. Zhu, H., Wang, S., Liu, D., Ding, L., Chen, C., Liu, Y., Wu, Z., Bollag, R., Liu, K., Yin, J., Ma, C., Li, L.*, and Wang, P.G.* Identifying sialylation linkages at the glycopeptide level by glycosyltransferase labeling assisted mass spectrometry (GLAMS). Anal Chem, 2020, 92, 6297-6303.
3. Ma, Z., Zhang, G., Gadi, M.R., Guo, Y., Wang, P., and Li, L.* Clostridioides difficile cd2775 encodes a unique mannosyl-1-phosphotransferase for polysaccharide II biosynthesis. ACS Infect Dis, 2020, 6, 680-686.
4. Wang, S., Zhang, Q., Chen, C., Guo, Y., Gadi, M.R., Yu, J., Westerlind, U., Liu, Y., Cao, X., Wang, P.G.*, and Li, L.* Facile chemoenzymatic synthesis of O-mannosyl glycans. Angew Chem Int Ed Eng, 2018, 57, 9268-9273.
5. Li, L., Woodward, R.L., Han, W., Qu, J., Song, J., Ma, C., and Wang, P.G. Chemoenzymatic synthesis of bacterial polysaccharide repeating unit-pyrophosphate-undecaprenyl and analogues. Nat Protoc, 2016, 11, 1280-1298