- Mentoring Agreement - This document can help establish a professional mentoring relationship and clarify mentor and mentee roles and responsibilities.
- Individual Development Plan - This document provides a template for the mentee to evaluate time commitments and detail short- and long-term goals.
- Mentoring Network Worksheet - This document provides a way to examine the various mentors and advisors that might be of assistance and tied to specific goals.
- The following websites have information and additional resources relevant to faculty peer mentoring.
- National Research Mentoring Network (https://Nrmnet.net) is a national research-mentoring network that provides training and resources across disciplines and ranks.
Scholarly Texts, Chapters, and Articles
The following are published writing about mentorship.
- Allen, T. D. (2007). Mentoring relationships from the perspective of the mentor. In B. R. Ragins & K. E. Kram (Eds.) The handbook of mentoring at work: Theory, research, and practice (pp. 123-147). Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publications.
- Allen, T. D., Eby, L. T., & Lentz, E. (2006). Mentorship behaviors and mentorship quality associated with formal mentoring programs: Closing the gap between research and practice. Journal of Applied Psychology, 91, 567-578.
- Fletcher, S., & Mullen, C. A. (Eds.). (2012). Sage handbook of mentoring and coaching in education. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
- Hernandez, P. R., Estrada, M., Woodcock, A., & Schultz, P. W. (2017). Protégé perceptions of high mentorship quality depend on shared values more than on demographic match. The Journal of Experimental Education, 85, 450-468.
- Johnson, W. B. (2015). On being a mentor: A guide for higher education faculty. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Marina, B. L. H. (2015). Mentoring away the glass ceiling in academia: A cultured critique. Lanham, MA: Lexington Books.
- Pachter, L. M., & Kodjo, C. (2015). New century scholars: A mentorship program to increase workforce diversity in academic pediatrics. Academic Medicine, 90, 881-887.
- Phillips, S. L., & Dennison, S. T. (2015). Faculty mentoring: A practical manual for mentors, mentees, administrators, and faculty developers. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Sands, R. G., Parson, L. A., & Duane, J. (1991). Faculty mentoring faculty in a public university. The Journal of Higher Education, 62, 174-193.
- Tillman, L. C. (2001). Mentoring African American faculty in predominantly White institutions. Research in Higher Education, 42, 295-325.
- Wills, C. E., & Kaiser, L. (2002). Navigating the course of scholarly productivity: The protégé's role in mentoring. Nursing Outlook, 50, 61-66.
Essays and Opinions
The following are online articles, opinion pieces, and blog posts relevant to faculty mentoring.
- Beckymcboatface (pseudonym) (2018). An elephant in the room: How we set ourselves up to be bad at mentoring. Tenure, She Wrote (blog)
- Lieberman, M. (2018). Peer mentoring for instructional designers pays off. Inside Higher Ed.
- McMurtrie, B. (2018). Want to help professors become better teachers? Find them a mentor. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Rockquemore, K. A. (2013). A new model of mentoring. Inside Higher Ed.
- Rockquemore, K. A. (2013). Be a coach, not a guru. Inside Higher Ed.