ASSOCIATE DEAN FOR STRATEGIC INITIATIVES
The College of Arts and Sciences at Georgia State University (GSU), a leading public, urban research university, invites inquiries, nominations, and applications for the tenure eligible position of Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives. The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree, a distinguished record in strategic initiatives and implementation, demonstrated leadership and administrative skills, and a strong commitment to graduate and undergraduate training and education. Georgia State University is one of four research universities of 31 institutions that comprise the University System of Georgia. Georgia State is expanding its research portfolio, global connections and its geographic diversity. To carry out that mission, the university seeks energetic, visionary and transformational leaders.
Reporting to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives oversees strategic direction for the college, particularly as it pertains to career readiness, innovative programming and curricula, and supporting student progression to graduation and career success.
- Promotes the enduring value of a liberal arts education in career readiness and life-long learning.
- Works with academic units and assistant/associate deans to develop curriculum and innovative undergraduate and graduate degree, certificate and signature experience programs that meet the needs of the current and future workforce.
- Works to articulate career planning and career preparation within the degree program.
- Implements and tracks Arts and Sciences initiatives in pursuit of college and university strategic plan goals within the areas of undergraduate and graduate learning, particularly retention and progression to graduation.
- Identifies career readiness competencies and works with departments to integrate competencies into degree programs.
- Works across departments and programs to integrate career competencies and skills into into degree programs to educate and train graduates ready for current and future workforce and career demands.
- Develops partnerships in public and private sectors to provide students throughout Arts and Sciences with internships, co-operative programs, signature experiences, and other career-related experiential learning opportunities.
- Supports, documents, and encourages the adoption of innovative academic and outreach initiatives that enhance student success, including external partnerships, internships, and co-operative experiences. Works regularly with university administrators and relevant campus offices to achieve college and university strategic goals relating to student success and career readiness.
- Works with the Associate Dean for Faculty Development and the university Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning to support faculty engagment with experiential and active learning.
- Develops and monitors success measures to assess the effectiveness of student career-readiness initiatives.
- Works with dean to identify strategic initiatives to further the college strategic vision.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the dean.
- Faculty appointment at the rank of full professor and at least five (5) years of progressive administrative or leadership experience, or earned doctorate and at least ten (10) years of progressive administrative or leadership experience in higher education;
- At least five (5) years of progressive administrative or leadership experience in student academic success, and experiential learning;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as evidenced in the application and interview process; and
- Aptitude for innovation and rapid change as evidenced by the body of work as an administrator in a medium or large department or significant college- or university-level service.
- Experience developing academic curricula and/or active learning pedagogies;
- Experience aligning workforce/career needs with higher education.
HOW TO APPLY
The Search Committee will accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Screening for candidates will begin October 1, 2017. For best consideration, applications should be received prior to September 29, 2017. Applicants should submit a current resume or CV, cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position, and the names of three (3) professional references (include title, address, email address and business phone number). Application materials should be submitted in PDF or Microsoft Word format to the following e-mail address:
For inquiries: Justin Lilly, [email protected], (404)413-5115
Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
An offer of employment will be conditional on background verification.