Biology students may earn course credit for on or off-campus internships or work experiences by registering for BIOL 6916, with the following considerations:
- BIOL 6916 is a 2-credit hour course
- Students may register for this course twice, to earn a maximum of 4 credit hours
- Regular tuition and fees are incurred when registering for BIOL 6916
If a student would like to earn course credit for an internship or work experience, the following criteria must be met:
- The student must work at the internship for the duration of the semester, with the following number of hours per week
- at least 6 hours per week in Fall or Spring semesters
- at least 12 hours per week in the 7 week summer semester
- The student must be learning biology-based skills, to be evaluated and approved by the MS Director of Biology. Office work, clerical work, answering phones, etc. will not be accepted.
If the student agrees to the considerations above, and believes that their internship opportunity fulfills the mandatory criteria, the following steps can be taken:
- The mentor of the internship will email the Graduate Director of Biology with the approximate number of hours the student will work, the length of the internship, and the duties/responsibilities of the student at the internship
- The Graduate Director will review the information to ensure that it meets the above criteria. Please allow at least 5 business days for review.
- Once approved, the Graduate Director will assist the student in registering for the course for the specified number of credit hours (2 or 4).
To receive a grade of S or U at the end of the semester, the mentor must again email the Graduate Director to confirm that the student completed all the internship requirements to their satisfaction. This email must be received by the last day of classes during that semester, or the student will receive an Incomplete in the course.