The summer is a great time to enhance your resume with a research program. We encourage you to find and apply for a program that suits your interests and goals. Most research programs pay approximately $5000 for the summer, and include room, board, and transportation. Clinically focused programs usually pay less. Deadlines generally range from December to March 1.
It is also advisable to apply to at least eight programs. About two thirds of the programs will continue from year to year.
To stay updated and receive invitations to workshops, please send an email to [email protected].
- National Science Foundation – Research Experience for Undergraduates (NSF-REU)
- Pathways to Science (Best resource for specific searches, including opportunities for international students and freshmen)
- NSF Education and Training Application (you can apply to multiple programs through your ETAP account)
- ORISE Internships, Scholarships, and Fellowships
- SCI Scholars – Industrial Internships for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Undergraduates
- Department of Energy – Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (DOE-SULI). These prestigious internships allow students to spend a semester (Fall, Spring, Summer) at a national laboratory.
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) awards encourage individuals from underrepresented groups or from a disadvantaged background who hold a recent baccalaureate degree in a biomedically relevant area of study to pursue a research doctorate (Ph.D.). The awards are usually at research-intensive universities for one year after graduation with a B.S. in a biomedically relevant field.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Undergraduate Scholarship Program (UGSP) offers competitive scholarships to students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are committed to careers in biomedical, behavioral, and social science health-related research. The program offers: Scholarship support, paid research training at the NIH during the summer and paid employment and training at the NIH after graduation.
- O*Net: A site to explore job possibilities and apply for jobs in the region of your choice.