The summer is a great time to enhance your resume with a research program, often for pay. We encourage you to find and apply for a program that suits your interests and goals.
Dr. Gigi B. Ray is the Coordinator of Summer Academic Programs. Dr. Ray works with students to identify summer programs of interest and prepare applications for these programs. The majority of summer programs are paid positions. They are available at universities and research institutes throughout the United States, including Georgia State University. Please note that the application deadlines generally fall in a narrow time window from January 15 to March 1, with some exceptions.
LSAMP (Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation) is a fellowship program for undergraduate students majoring in the sciences. The goal is to increase the numbers of minority students who complete STEM BS degrees and enter STEM graduate pro¬grams. Approximately 16 fellowships will be awarded each year. The standard amount of each stipend is $2,000. Applicants with Hope scholarships are preferred. Applicants normally must have some non-federal support to be used as matching funds. All qualified undergraduate students will be considered but preference will be given to upper level students, those carrying out research projects, and continuing fellows. Students who have previously received an LSAMP Fellowship must be actively engaged in research to be considered for a renewal. Further inquiries about the program should be directed to Dr. Al Baumstark (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr. Davon Kennedy (email@example.com), or Dr. B. Baumstark (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications and Award Dates: Applications for the current year are being accepted now until all fellowships are awarded.
The requirements are:
- B.S. major in Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Biology, Math, or Geology (STEM)
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Essay on background and career goals including anticipated graduation date and graduate school plans
- GPA 3.0 or higher
- HOPE Scholarship (needed to match the federal funds)
- Letter from faculty member/research advisor
To apply, please download, complete, and submit the LSAMP application to Dr. Baumstark’s mailbox in the Chemistry Main Office, 380 Petit Science Center.
- Amgen Scholars Program
- CDC Collegiate Leaders in Environmental Health
- Environmental Protection Agency Summer Employment
- MIT Summer Research Program (MSRP)
- ORISE Internships, Scholarships, and Fellowships
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships through the Department of Energy
- SCI Scholars - Industrial Internships for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Undergraduates
- United States Army Educational Outreach Summer Programs
National Science Foundation - Research Experience for Undergraduates (NSF-REU):
National Institutes of Health - Research and Training Opportunities (NIH):
Department of Energy - Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (DOE-SULI):
CIRRUS - Collected Internet Resources for Research by Undergraduate Students:
Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programs in Biological & Physical Sciences:
Summer Internships in Biological Sciences:
Biology & Biotechnology Paid Co-op/Internships:
Internships for Undergraduate Chemistry Students (ACS):
Pathways to Science Undergraduate Portal:
Internship and Fellowship Opportunities in Science (Science.gov):