Professor’s Book on Animal Rights Recognized for its Social and Political Impact

Carrie P. Freeman, associate professor of communication, is one of three National Indie Excellence 2016 Book Awards finalists in the “social/political change” category for her book, Framing Farming: Communication Strategies for Animal Rights.DrCPFreeman-4618

The National Indie Excellence Awards (NIEA) celebrates excellence in indie, self-published and small-press book publishing. NIEA winners and finalists are chosen by a panel of independent experts including designers, copywriters, editors, publishers and writers.

“I know the book is solid in its theoretical depth and its pragmatic use for activists, but it’s nice to have it objectively acknowledged by those in the publishing industry, outside of critical animal studies scholars and activists,” Freeman said. “I was particularly pleased that the book was recognized in the social/political change category, as that was not the category in which I entered the book. I had not thought that animal rights and saving the lives of “farmed animals” could compete with the human rights issues in the social/political change category in the eyes of the judges, but I’m glad they recognized the social and ecological impact that a global shift to a plant-based diet could have for all living beings.”

An animal rights activist for two decades and former leader of a grassroots vegetarian society and student animal rights groups, Freeman was always inspired by the brochures, posters, videos, images and messages that resonated most with the people she’d come in contact with.

That inspiration led her to explore the types of messages that would influence the public to change their view of animals, specifically convincing the public to see animals as worthy of being free of human control.

“I hope that readers of my book will learn strategies for designing messages that get the public to acknowledge their own status as animals and think deeply about transforming our relationship with nonhuman animals and nature,” Freeman said.

To order a copy of Farming Framing, please visit www.framingfarming.com.