Andrew Wedeman Receives Wilson Center for International Scholars Fellowship

Professor Andrew Wedeman of Political Science has been selected to participate in the Wilson Center for International Scholars Fellowship Program this upcoming academic year.Wedeman head shot

The purpose of the fellowship is to create a space for award-winning scholars, practitioners, policy makers and journalists to engage in non-partisan dialogue. Annually, the Wilson Center awards roughly 160 fellowships to scholars to conduct independent research on national or international issues that address public policy changes.

“It’s a prestigious opportunity, so I was extremely pleased when I learned I received the fellowship.” said Wedeman. “I am looking forward to spending a year in D.C. with policy makers and with other scholars at the Wilson Center.”

He added, “This will help establish Georgia State University’s status as a research university. It will give us more visibility in D.C. and on a national level.”

While in D.C., Wedeman will work on his project entitled, “Corruption, Unrest and Repression: Implications for China’s Rise and Sino-American Strategic Relations,” which will take a look at the surge in corruption and unrest in China the last 20 years.

“The fellowship is very competitive,” he said. “I think my project was chosen because it’s timely. With China now listed as the emerging second superpower in the world, there’s a great deal of interest in this.”

Wedeman leaves for Washington this May.

For more information about the Wilson Center, please click here.